Risk Management & Safety

This program is a guide and to summarize for the Nevada System of Higher Education users who operate owned, leased, loaned or personal vehicles while performing business for your institution. The program contains information on the following:

  • Types of Vehicles in this Program
  • Operation
  • Auto Physical Damage & Auto Liability Coverage
  • Maintenance
  • State Administrative Manual Regulations
  • Employee Acknowledgement Form
  • Recent Laws that affect Vehicle Use
  • State Risk Management Requirements
  • Business Center South/Risk Management & Safety
  • Training


  • Institution Owned – Each institution in Business Center South (BCS) own various types of vehicles including automobiles, trucks, sports utility vehicles, motorcycles, golf cats or any other vehicle that may or may not be designed for public highway use.
  • State Motor Pool – The State of Nevada provides vehicles which can be borrowed for official state use only.
  • Rented or Leased – The State of Nevada contracts with certain rental agencies to provide vehicles for employees or permissive users.
  • Loaned – Some departments developed agreements to obtain vehicles for business purposes from other organizations for certain considerations.
  • Personal Vehicle – There are times an employee may need to use their own personal vehicle for business purposes.


Institution Owned

Employees or permissive users, who are not employees, such as volunteers are authorized to operate institution owned vehicles. The department head must approve in writing the use of owned vehicles by non-employees "prior" to usage.

Employees and permissive users must have a valid driver's license of the appropriate class, as defined by the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles, in their possession while operating a State/NSHE owned vehicle.

Volunteers can be considered permissive users if the Volunteer Agreement form is appropriately processed prior to operating a vehicle. The Department of Human Resources processes the form. Further information regarding the Volunteer Policy can be found on the UNLV Human Resources website.

State Motor Pool Vehicles

State of Nevada motor pool vehicles can be reserved from three locations in the State of Nevada:

  • Las Vegas:
    7060 La Cienega, Las Vegas, NV 89119
    (702) 486-7050
    (702) 486-7042 fax
  • Reno:
    2550 Terminal Way, Reno, NV 89502
    (775) 688-1325
    (775) 688-1309 fax
  • Carson City:
    750 E King Street, Carson City, NV 89701
    (775) 684-1880
    (775) 684-1888 fax

Regular operation of state motor pool vehicles is the same as for institution owned vehicles. Additional information regarding use of state motor pool vehicles can be located on the State of Nevada Motorpool website.

Rented or Leased Vehicles

Employees or permissive users shall rent vehicles when performing business with state contracted vendors. The list of approved vehicle agencies can be found on the State of Nevada Motorpool website.

Additional information regarding vehicle rental can be found on UNLV's Car Rental Policy.

Off-Road use

Consistent with any other lease of a vehicle, and per the State of Nevada contract with rental vehicle vendors, regular passenger vehicles can operate only on public highways. To date, we have determined that Enterprise is the only vendor that allows off-road use of certain types of vehicles. When there is a need to operate a rented vehicle for off-road use, the departments have two options:

  • Rent a vehicle from Enterprise which will include the added addendum indicating the department is 100% responsible for any auto property damages. (See Exhibit A).
  • Purchase commercial auto property damage insurance through Willis of Seattle, Inc. Call RMS at 895-4226 for information and assistance.

The "Rules of Operation" when renting vehicles with Enterprise can be found under UNLV Motor Pool Vehicle Reservations.

Volunteers who are performing a task to benefit their institution may rent a vehicle for their specific purpose if approved by a department head and have completed and submitted a Volunteer Agreement Form.

NSHE personnel may "not" rent fifteen (15) passenger vans due to safety reasons.

Non-State Contracted Vendors

If an individual is unable to rent a vehicle from a state contracted vendor, then it is imperative the user buy the Collision Damage Waiver and Liability insurance offered by the vendor. As a reminder, the department will be responsible to pay for all damages to any rented vehicle if operating off-road.

The estimated cost for Commercial Auto Property Damage Insurance for off-road use would be approximately $2.50 - $3.00 for every $100 of value of the vehicle for as long as the vehicle is rented. Some exclusions apply. (See Exhibit B). The steps to obtain this coverage would be to first verify if the rental vendor allows off-road use. The department must decide whether to purchase the off-road commercial insurance coverage or assume 100% of the risk for any off-road damages.

Loaned Vehicles

Some departments have entered into agreements with vendors for the use of their vehicles. The operation of the loaned vehicles is in accordance to the agreement. Some restrictions may apply.

Personal Vehicle

NSHE does not restrict an employee or volunteer from using their personal vehicles when performing business but employees and volunteers must meet appropriate requirements for travel approval.


Institution Owned

  • Auto Physical Damage (APD): NSHE joined the State of Nevada self-funded APD program also referred to as comprehensive & collision on July 1, 2009. The claims are administered by The State of Nevada Department of Administration Risk Management. BCS/RMS processes the claims and submits to the State Risk Management for payment. There is a $300.00 department deductible when a vehicle is damaged. Vehicles that can be covered in this program include autos, trucks, motorcycles, golf carts or gators. Trailers can be covered for APD with a deductible of $1,500.00.
  • Auto Liability (AL): NSHE is also self-funded with the State of Nevada for AL coverage for bodily injury or property damage sustained by others resulting from the negligence of NSHE employee or permissive user. There is no deductible for AL claims. The claims are administered by the State of Nevada Attorney General's Office with the limitations as noted in Nevada Revised Statute (NRS) 41. Vehicles that are covered in this program include autos, truck and motorcycles; any vehicle that can be used on a public highway. Other vehicles listed in the APD coverage like golf carts are covered in the State Tort program for general liability.

State Motor Pool

APD and AL coverage is the same as institution owned vehicles except for a few exceptions:

  • The vehicles are owned by the State of Nevada.
  • The State pays for the coverage.
  • The department will be charged back in full for any damages from the result of off-road usage. In other words, the department can use certain state motor pool vehicles off-road, but will be 100% responsible for any damages.

Rented or Leased Vehicles

State Contracted Vendors: The state contracted vehicle vendors provide first dollar Collision Damage Waiver and Liability Combined Single Limit insurance coverage of $500,000 for normal use on public highways in all 50 states. Coverage is provided whether using an institution Diner's Club credit card if available or personal credit card as long as the correct state contract number is used and the rental has been appropriately approved by existing institution / State policies. The insurance is already included in the contracted price. Therefore, never purchase the vendor insurance when renting from a state contracted rental agency.

Loaned Vehicles

Loaned vehicles can be insured by the APD and AL coverage. The claims are handled in the same manner as institution owned vehicles. It is imperative loaned vehicles be reported to BCS/RMS to be added to the insured schedules.

Personal Vehicle

The employee's own auto insurance shall afford primary coverage.

The NSHE / State of Nevada AL coverage shall be excess coverage with certain limitations as set forth in NRS 41.


Institution Owned

The departments are solely responsible for maintenance of their assigned vehicles. Facilities or motor pool at each institution can assist maintaining vehicles. Departments will be charged back for the services provided.

State Motor Pool

The maintenance of state motor pool vehicles is the responsibility of the State of Nevada Department of Administration Motor Pool Division.

Rented or Leased Vehicles

The rental agency is responsible for the maintenance of their vehicles.

Loaned Vehicles

The owner of the vehicle is responsible for the maintenance. There are schedules is place for the user to abide by in most agreements.

Personal Vehicle

The owner is responsible for the maintenance of their personal vehicle.


The State´s Administrative Manual (SAM) is a compilation of policy statements concerning the internal operations of State government. Policies are based on statute or other approved regulations. The latest version of SAM can be found on the Nevada Department of Administration webpage.

Specific sections applicable to vehicle use in SAM include:

  • Chapter 0500, Section 0504.0 (8), discusses APD coverage
  • Chapter 0500, Section 0521, Discusses Safety & Health Program
  • Chapter 1300, discusses State Vehicles in general
  • Chapter 1400, discusses State Motor Pool Division, rules and procedures


BCS/RMS has created an online acknowledgement form which lists the rules for drivers of Nevada State or NSHE vehicles to review and sign, if needed.

Departments can use this form to document that drivers are aware of and agree to abide by the rules related to vehicles use as set forth in SAM 1300.

The form can be completed online. To fill out the online form, click Vehicle Use Acknowledgement Form.


In June of 2011, the State of Nevada legislature passed Senate Bill 140 which states that the texting ban would prohibit drivers from using a cell phone or other wireless communications device to access or search the Internet, or to type, enter, send, or read any non-voice communication, including text messages, instant messages (IM), or email. Global positioning systems (GPS) are not covered by the law. The ban doesn't apply to emergency personnel, licensed amateur radio operators who are communicating certain public information, employees of public utilities who are responding to emergencies, or drivers who are reporting emergencies or responding to dangerous situations. Reference (SAM 1320).


BCS/RMS is responsible for overseeing this program and to ensure the NSHE institutions in BCS are advised of the policies and procedures that govern the coverage related items related to vehicles usage by employees, volunteers or permissive users while on NSHE business.

BCS/RMS provides support to institutions regarding claims investigation and claims document processing, vehicle fleet lists (schedules), coverage related questions, monitoring budgets and monitoring premium payments.


Defensive Driving: Effective May 3, 2010 pursuant to memorandum issued by State Risk Management, Defensive Driving Course is required for all state employees whose essential job functions require a state vehicle for state business on public roads. The authority sited is SAM 0521.0 Safety and Health Program, Subsection 2-C. NSHE is not excluded. This pertains to classified employees.

The memorandum indicates new employees would be provided a brief orientation upon hire explaining the policies and procedures with operating a State vehicle. The new employee would need to attend the standard four (4) hour course from the National Safety Council or an equivalent as soon as available or within the first year of employment. A refresher course is required every four (4) years. Also, employees who have more than one work related traffic accident where they are at fault within a four (4) year period must be re-directed to re-take the course within three (3) months of the second accident.

Safety Consultation and Training (SCATS) does provide free training periodically in the Las Vegas area. SCATS training schedules can be found on the Nevada Department of Business and Industry website.

BCS/RMS will not require defensive training as part of the Vehicle Use and Safety Program, however BCS/RMS may require employees undergo the training should an NSHE employee or permissive user be involved in an accident and there is no proof of completion of the Defense Driving course. The employee may be required to complete the course within ninety (90) days.

The State of Nevada does provide a Defensive Driving course to be completed on-line at no cost at http://nvelearn.nv.gov/

The course is offered through the State of Nevada Online Professional Development Center. If you already have a username and password to the State of Nevada NEATS system you will need that username and password to log in.

If you do not have a username and password to the NEATS system, click here to establish one: https://nvapps.state.nv.us/NEATS/Recruiting/ViewApplicantRegistrationForm.aep

Once you are logged in to the State of Nevada Online Professional Development Center, you should go to:

The employee would go to:

  • Course Categories ‐ State of Nevada Employees
  • Defensive Driving

You must complete the exam given at the end of the course as well as complete the course evaluation. You will be able to print out a Certificate of Completion. A copy of the certificate should be forwarded to Risk Management and Safety.

Golf Cart Training: BCS/RMS has instituted a comprehensive Cart Safety Program and provides on-line training for all NSHE employees as needed. The program and training can be found on the Risk Management and Safety Training website.

Golf cart usage and safety is provided during new employee orientation.

This document was last modified on October 10, 2017.