Risk Management & Safety

Property Insurance

UNLV, CSN, and NSC are insured for replacement value for buildings and its contents through the Nevada System of Higher Education for $500 million dollars. NSHE has a $500,000 deductible. UNLV, CSN, and NSC have a $2,000 deductible per claim occurance.

General Liability

UNLV, CSN, and NSC are state institutions and are afforded limited liabilities as sovereign entities as per the Nevada Revised Statues (NRS) 41. NRS 41 affords defense and indemnity to NSHE entities and its employees.

Vehicle Insurance

NRS 41 applies to Auto Liability in the same manner.

Auto Physical Damage coverage is for all UNLV/CSN/NSC owned, leased, or loaned vehicles, such as automobiles, trucks, carts, or trailers.

Student Malpractice

There is professional liability coverage for students who study in healthcare practices. This policy covers students in the School of Dental Medicine and the School of Health Sciences. This policy is essential for the students to continue their educational process while protecting them against any loss that may occur while working with the public as an intern or similar educational activity.


This insurance policy provides coverage for losses resulting from:

  • Theft of money, securities, or other property
  • Forgery or alteration of checks, drafts, promissory notes, and other similar orders to pay
  • Computer fraud
  • Counterfeit paper and money orders

Medical Malpractice

This professional liability insurance policy provides coverage to employees who treat medical and dental student patients and the general public. Dental residents and fellowship students are also provided medial malpractice insurance.

International Travel

Business Center South (BCS) institutions are engaged around the world through research, educational activities and services. BCS encourages and supports international travel by faculty/staff, students and provides the following information to assist travelers while traveling abroad.


For international travel it is recommended that travelers register with the US State Department Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). STEP provides additional information for travel abroad. Travelers can provide information to be used in cased of an emergency, along with email updates regarding travel advisories for a particular country

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/step.html Safety, Health and Security Tips Guide

A current listing of countries with travel warnings can be found on the U.S. Department of State website:


A current listing of sanctioned countries can be found on the U.S. Department of Treasury website:



The Traveler's Insurance Global Companion package provides assistance to the Nevada System of Higher Education employees while traveling internationally for business. The program offers services and coverage related to:

Global Executive Support Services: This is a non-insurance benefit providing 24-hour access with trained, multilingual personnel to assist with:

Medical Assistance
  • Advance payment or guarantee of hospital admission deposit
  • Medical monitoring
  • Dispatch of doctor or specialist to evaluate need for evacuation
  • Medical emergency evacuation
  • Medically supervised repatriation
  • Mortal remains repatriation
Personal Assistance
  • Pre-trip medical referral information
  • Shipment of emergency prescription medication
  • Embassy and consular information
  • Lost documents assistants including credit cards, passports and travel documents
  • Emergency message transmission
  • Emergency cash advance
  • Legal referrals
  • Translations and interpreter assistance
  • Lost baggage assistance
  • Assistance with verifying medical insurance and coordinating overseas claims with employee's health insurance
  • Travel advisories from the U.S. Department of State
Travel Assistance
  • Family members or companions often accompany travelers abroad. In the event of an employee's illness or death, the program provides transportation assistance for dependent children, other family members and companions.

Commercial General Liability
General liability exposures are covered by Traveler's Commercial General Liability insurance policy written on an occurrence form with a $1,000,000 limit and $2,000,000 aggregate. The insurance policy also provides a $50,000 medical expense limit. Some endorsements and exclusions are applicable.

Employee Benefits Liability
Exposures related to employer's benefits liability are covered at $1,000,000 each employee limit and $2,000,000 aggregate. Some exclusions and endorsements apply.

Business Auto
The business auto insurance policy provides coverage:

  • Liability: $1,000,000 for Hired / Non-Owned
  • Auto Medical Payments: $50,000 for Hired
  • Physical Damage (for any one loss): $50,000 for Hired / Non-Owned
  • Physical Damage (Aggregate in one policy period): $50,000
* Local compulsory admitted coverage must be maintained for foreign autos of $100,000 or the local equivalent.

Foreign Voluntary Workers' Compensation Coverage & Employer's Liability
Coverage will be determined by applicable jurisdictions, laws and maybe excess or duplicative on existing programs which will require coordination through RMS.

Transportation Expense
Emergency transportation expenses coverage is limited to $1,000,000 each person and aggregate. There is a sublimit of $2,500 for each: spouse and children.

Business Travel Accidental Death and Dismemberment
There are several limits depending on the nature of the loss and schedule of benefits. Some policy exclusions apply.


Traveler's Insurance uses United Healthcare Global as their preferred provider to provide emergency and non-emergency assistance. Their contact information is:

24-Hour Contact: PHONE LISTING (pdf)

You will need to provide the following information to UnitedHealthcare:
  • Global ID#: 35390
  • Your organization: Nevada System of Higher Education
  • Your name
  • Description of the situation
For travelers: Global Companion Card (pdf)
Additional Information / Contact Card (pdf)


Employees who suffer work related injuries while traveling abroad should:

  • Seek emergency medical care as needed for treatment of injuries. Retain copies of all medical forms and/or discharge paperwork.
  • Ask your department to complete Form C-1/Notice of Injury and submit it to Risk Management and Safety as soon as possible.
  • Contact Risk Management and Safety as soon as possible at (702) 895-5404 or (702) 895-4226.


Travel insurance and assistance is provided to employees only (faculty/staff, registered volunteers, student employees [traveling for NSHE business only], graduate assistants and post doctorate scholars). Students are required to have travel insurance when traveling abroad. UNLV students seeking to travel abroad should contact:

CSN: Sponsoring school/department

NSC: Sponsoring school/department

UNLV: UNLV International Programs


NSHE International Travel Policy

UNLV Travel Policy

Excess Insurance

The Excess Liability insurance policy provides coverage for liability risks that include wrongful acts, errors and omissions, products completed operations, employee benefit liability. There are some endorsements and exclusions that apply.

Special Event Liability

Special event insurance can be purchased for entities wanting to use UNLV or NSHE facilities to meet the insurance requirements for use of the facility.

This document was last modified on February 08, 2019.