2017 Safety Tips
Risk Management & Safety occasionally publishes bulletins through this website and the campus-wide UNLV Today newsletter. Click a heading below to view current safety tips, or check the sidebar for tips from previous years.
2017 Safety Tips
Risk Management and Safety would like to remind the campus community of its chemical inventory program CHIMERA. CHIMERA was developed to assist in the management of hazardous materials on campus.
Specifically, CHIMERA is a comprehensive chemical inventory management program designed to facilitate the collection and reporting of chemical information. Through an online interface, UNLV faculty and staff can manage their own chemical inventory, search their inventory, and view and print various inventory and hazard reports
In addition, CHIMERA also includes a voluntary chemical sharing program (Chemshare). This program enables users to check for specific materials within a pool of other participating user's inventories and will provide corresponding contact information.
CHIMERA also contains over 80,000 Safety Data Sheets (previously known as Material Safety Data Sheets), at least one for every product in the inventory. This resource provides quick and simple access to SDSs for all faculty and staff at UNLV.
Departments and individuals should be aware of the UNLV Cart Safety Program which establishes the minimum requirements necessary to operate a cart on campus. Privileges can and will be revoked if rules concerning the use of carts are violated.
The UNLV Cart Safety Program link is: Cart Safety Program
All cart operators must complete cart safety training before operating a cart. Information for training is at: Online Training Program
The following points are important to remember when operating a cart:
- The use of cell phones, headphones, iPods, or any device that covers the ears is prohibited while operating a cart.
- Cigarettes, cigars or any other vapor devices are prohibited while driving a cart.
- Pedestrians on sidewalks always have the right of way. Use reduced speed on walkways and in heavy pedestrian traffic.
- Approach blind corners with caution. It is possible auto drivers may not see cart drivers approaching.
- Do not exceed the maximum capacity for each cart and passengers must sit in designated seats. Do not misuse the cart.
- Unauthorized use would be considered theft of UNLV property and handled accordingly.
- Do not operate carts on a public highway, including the main roads surrounding UNLV. Carts must remain on UNLV property.
- Obey all traffic laws, including posted speed limits and parking restrictions.
For more detailed information, visit our Cart Safety webpage: Click Here
Anyone can report a safety concern involving a cart at: Report a Safety Concern or by contacting RMS directly. Please provide the license plate number, location, operator description, time of the occurrence and description of the unsafe act when reporting.